Thursday, December 22, 2016

Hello!

Today I'd like to evoke one of the most important and inspiring figure in my life - Susan Sontag. For those of you who haven't heard of her yet (I hope everybody has!), she was an American writer, essayist, filmmaker and political activist. She was considered one of the most influential critics of her generation, a statement which I totally agree with.

I decided to talk about her because, first of all, I can't believe that I haven't done it yet, and secondly, my second half and I couldn't wait for Christmas (again) and we've already exchanged gifts a week ago and I got the first part of Sontag's diaries, which has made me happier than Cervantes' 'Exemplary Novels' that I had been expecting (believe me, that already means something!).

If you haven't done it yet, read Sontag because she combined everything that I admire in an intellectual - erudition, intelligence, sensitivity, charisma and a colorful personality. And she really did care about the world, which is very rare these days.

Here is the trailer to a great documentary about Susan Sontag by Nancy Kates (2014):


No comments:

Post a Comment